WE ACCEPT ALSO EURO SEPA PAYMENTS
WE SHIP WORLDWIDE VIA PRIORITY MAIL FOR $5 - $16
Shipping rates here
fine silver | 15 mm | 0.5 g
At the time when Jan Jindrich (1349-1375) brother of Charles IV Holy Roman Emperor ruled over Moravia minting activities were revived after more than half a century through the production of so-called hollow coins which bore the image of an eagle. However it was his son Jobst Moravian margrave 1375-1411 who created a new coinage system. Characteristic features of Jobst´s minting include denarius pennies and hellers (1 groschen = 7 pennies = 14 hellers) with the ´IO´ initial an abbreviation of the Latin form of his name IODOCVS. The denarius reverse bears a chequered eagle as the Moravian coat of arms the heller reverse a Greek cross with daggers or angled letters. These coins were minted until 1391 in the Margrave mint in Brno situated in Mecova Street the only functional mint in Moravia at that time under mintmasters Martin of Radotice and Arnold Cumbach. After 1391 under the influence of Austrian pfennigs square coins were introduced - pennies and hellers bearing the image of the chequered Moravian eagle. The production of these square coins reached its peak during the Hussite wars.In addition to small silver coins a golden ducat was minted in connection with Margrave Jobst although its authenticity is disputed up to this day.The evolution of minting at that time was the consequence of the economic-political development in Moravia in the second half of the 14th century. Consequently Brno was thriving as numerous privileges were conferred on the residential town.