WE ACCEPT ALSO EURO SEPA PAYMENTS
WE SHIP WORLDWIDE VIA PRIORITY MAIL FOR $5 - $16
Shipping rates here
fine silver | 16 mm | 0.8 g
The division of Moravia to appanage duchies ended when the Margraviate of Moravia was founded by Conrad-Otto Duke of Bohemia in 1182. The existence of the Brno mint is recorded in a document which the Moravian margrave Premysl (1228-1239) had issued in 1234 in the house of the royal mintmaster Bruno. Later documents mention Brno citizens and mintmasters Wigand (1239) and Arlan (1241). Brno mintmasters are also mentioned in the town privilege from 1243. In the 13th century the mint was situated in the Margrave House in Dominikanske Square (present-day Velky spalicek Big block house). At that time silver coins called pfennig-type denarii were minted in Moravia. In the 13th century mints were decentralised and leased to mint associations consisting usually of three mintmasters. Contracts with these associations were usually concluded for one-year periods unless they were hereditary. The exact number of mints is not known and individual types of coins cannot be attributed to particular mints. Among the most important mints was that in Jihlava thanks to the discovery of rich silver deposits in the 1230s in that area. Subsequently Jihlava municipal and mining law was established in 1249 as one of the earliest of its kind in Europe and significantly affected the development of mining laws in the Central-European region. After Ottokar II Premysl acceded to the Bohemian throne in 1253 single-sided silver coins called bracteates started to be minted in Moravia. In 1300 these were replaced by the most renowned Czech coins Prague groschen. As a unit of weight and counting so-called Moravian mark was used weighing 280 g and being converted to 480 denarii.